Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Something closer to core definition of revolution



The rise of rock music and culture among the black youth is a new and exciting vibe that is very real to my social and age groups. However, it hasn’t yet made its core impact here at home; this vibe is happening in the USA with cultures like Afro-Punk.

In my research I have also come across bands like
The Specials – a very impressive ‘ska-punk black and white Coventry’ band which was put together by Jerry Dammers in 1977. “I was aiming for revolution of racial harmony, of peace and unity” - JD. I have found very little of this being done here in South Africa. I have started however sub-consciously by photographing myself and friends who choose to dwell into rock music and culture as an alternative lifestyle to what is clich├ęd to our ethnic group for may social and political issues that we are faced with in our everyday lives.

I want my photography to challenge the stereo-types and stigmas attached to various races and cultures in S.A; breaking them and encouraging more relations between these groups and take-over from what THE SPECIALS has started...
Hello Alternative Kidz...

2 comments:

germsblogspot said...

Hey Alternative Kid... I'd just like to say I have a lot of respect for you. I think that your work is going to have a great impact and I enjoy reading about your life as part of it all!

Peace Love Rock 'n Roll.

Alternative kid said...

Thanx man!